Foscarini acquires German lighting maker Ingo Maurer

Independent lighting house Foscarini has acquired German lighting company Ingo Maurer for an undisclosed sum, strengthening Foscarini’s role in the global lighting design scene.

Foscarini will acquire 90% of Ingo Maurer shares, with the remaining 10% to stay with Sarah Utermöhlen, daughter of the historic German designer Ingo Maurer who founded the company in 1966.

The Ingo Maurer brand creates and produces lamps, unique designs and lighting systems and is known for pieces that demonstrate tension between technique and expressiveness. All its products are designed and made at company headquarters in Munich and then distributed throughout the world.

“After carefully evaluating all the options, my sister Claude Mauer and I have decided that inclusion within the Foscarini creativity hub is the best strategy to enable Ingo Maurer to continue to strengthen its path of growth on a national and international level at the same time as conserving its founding traditions and values,” said Utermöhlen.

“With this step we have decided to invest in the uniqueness of the Ingo Maurer name, a brand that for us has always been a source of great inspiration and that we have always admired for its free vision and creative approach,” said Foscarini founder and president Carlo Urbinati. “We have had the opportunity to guarantee ourselves the honor and burden of playing a part in ensuring that the story of Ingo Maurer continues to be talked about around the world and support its further development on global … with the specific intention of preserving its traditions, values, and distinctive expressiveness.”

Editor-in-Chief Allison Zisko first joined HFN in 1998 and spent many years covering the tabletop category before widening her scope to all home furnishings. In her current role, she oversees all aspects of HFN, including its print and digital products, and represents the brand at home and abroad through presentations, panel discussions and HFN’s podcast, The Inside Scoop.

Related Posts